Proposed changes to the Nature Conservation Act will turn the Act, like the Vegetation Management Act, on its head.
You can read a draft submission prepared by ASH here ASH DRAFT SUB NCA&OLA Bill (No. 2) 09 Sep 2013
The following is a summary of the changes.
2. Abolishing a number of classes of protected area ... introducing a new class, regional park, to encompass conservation parks and resources reserves.
3. Substantially changing the management principles of national parks and effectively neutralising the cardinal principle of national park management.
4. The undermining of national parks by incorporating all the functions of national parks (scientific) and national parks (recovery) into the national park tenure.
5. Abolishing the forest reserve tenure - a holding tenure for State forest land that was destined to become national park
6. Abolishing the requirement to prepare management plans for all protected areas
7. The amendment of 17 other Acts in order to bring them in line with the NC Act amendments.